Wednesday 28 July 2010

i'm in a field and i'm practically dead...

hey all

well, it's been another fun packed day today. finished up by going to see the black keys tonight in central park - yeay! i am very in love with this band... missed seeing them at the fillmore in san francisco last time i was in the usa - and tonight's gig was majorly sold out... so i go along to see if i can get a spare ticket. then i go too far uptown and end up walking for bloody miles in central park until i finally get there. it's very busy. so i'm walking along and there are lots of cool indie types hanging around but the first guy i get to is an old guy looking very normal and he asks if i want a ticket. immediately i'm suspicious (i am from london after all!) but he's cool about it and the ticket is $40 which is face value... so i ask him if it's dodgy - like he's gonna tell me if it is! he says he'll wait until i've gone in. so i go up feeling like i'm gonna get turned away, and they let me in - the tickets legit - yippee! i see the old guy wandering away... life is very random sometimes!

so i'm on my own and i hate going to gigs on my own - i get some beer - after getting a drinks wristband where the guy tells me not to advertise the fact that i have a british passport, i asked why and he said, becuase of the bp oil spill! nothing to do with me! i said. crazy yanks!

the morning benders are support - they're ok. it's hot and i've walked miles to get there and i've got a dress on and flip-flops which means i can't sit cross-legged on the floor so i'm uncomfortable and alone with my beer - boo!

then the black keys come on and blow me away... did i say how much i love them? they're fantastic and make quite a racket considering there's only two of them - drums and guitar/vocals. they play my fave song about third track in - it's fan-bloody-tastic.

beautiful evening - great music - i only wish that the crowd would shut up! there's guy having a long conversation in front of me about how much he loves the band while they're playing he's not even watching/listening - he then proceeds to get his phone out and text - what the hell?

dragged myself home - feet very sore, stupid flip-flops! belly very hungry, just made the biggest sandwich in the world and stuffed it, feeling grubby so off for a shower...

from the city that never sleeps... nighty night!

the band coming on:


and going off:

2 comments:

  1. I think one day soon you will get over the fact you hate going to gigs alone, they are still just as great, aren't they. And as for the BP thing, glad they're taking it seriously. Not so good if you're at the receiving end of it but still. It's better then everyone thinking you're easy cos you're from UK. That's what they think about English girls here.

    I wander what they think of me.... with the bump and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'll comment! Glad you enjoyed the gig outside, so brave going on your own!

    Now. Since you are in NYC and I am not, you have to do something for me. Go to this exhibit please and let me know how it is. http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/race/

    I'm more interested in the Scott side of things. I'll have to send you an email all about why I'm excited about it, but you should totally go and send me a postcard.

    Now go on enjoying all of the crazy yank-ness!

    ReplyDelete